Salle is closed from 23 December to 2 January and there will be no classes. Possible freefencing events will be announced separately.
Training schedule change
The club is returning to its normal training schedule starting 1.8.2022, so monday and tuesday training will be resuming.
We are happy to get Joeli Takala running our thursday Fiore practise for August and September. During this practise there will be more than usual wrestling, which we have been neglecting during the pandemic. The tatami mats we have acquired for the club will help with wrestling practise.
Autumn block starting
The training card valid from August to December is being sold now. Remember to also make sure you have paid the club membership fee of 2022. If you participated in the beginners’ course in 2022, the course fee already included your membership fee.
Starting 6.9 we are organizing beginners’ courses for all weapons. The courses will last for 6 weeks, and especially for the first sessions we are expecting lots of attendees. During this time it is recommended to attend either the thursday Fiore classes, or the monday 1-handed weapon classes, which are expected to have fewer attendees.
Named loaner masks
The named loaner masks will be returned back to common use starting from September, and only new beginners’ course attendees will receive named loaners. Others are encouraged to acquire their own masks, or to use un-named loaners.
For basic use (pair drills and light and slow sparring) any 350 newton fencing mask will suffice. For sparring it is however recommended that you get at least an 800 newton mask which is intended for HEMA use. HEMA masks are also recommended for normal practise.
Feel free to ask in Whasapp, email or during practise for recommendations on what type of mask to get.
You can also get masks from e.g. the following places:
If you order from here, set your fencing club as SHMS
The club has access to a 10% discount code at Rautaportti. Ask more about this during e.g. practise.
The steering committee for 2023
Our club runs on the efforts of volunteers, and the steering committee requires active members. If you are interested in administrative club activities, your help is very welcome. Let your interest be known by Tero, Rasmus, Henry, Aleksi, Harri or Tuomas.
The regional state administrative agency of southern finland decreed on 31.1.2022 that the restrictions on exercise facilities are to be lessened. Shut down facilities may resume usage starting from 1.2.2022.
SHMS ry resumes training per the usual schedule starting from tuesday 1.2.2022. One must still follow restrictions regarding infection risk during close quarters contact. For this reason we will adhere to the following restrictions:
- Participant count is restricted to 20 people.
- Those wishing to join are requested to pre-register using MyClub.
- Those who pre-register via MyClub take priority, if the participant count exceeds the limit.
- Use of MyClub is also recommended for pre-registration, because the practise session may be canceled if there are no participants.
- Wrestling and other close quarters techniques are forbidden for now.
- Practise good hand hygiene at the salle.
- Do not come to the salle if you have any symptoms of infection.
- Use of a face mask is recommended.
- Unnecessary stay at the salle outside of practise should be avoided.
Because of the current snow situation, the salle parking lot is partially out of use, and in the worst case scenario your car may get stuck. Those arriving to practise using a car should reserve extra time for finding parking.
Sports facilities are closed till the 7th of February. SHMS Salle is also closed, and according to current information, we will resume training on the 8th of February.
There are no classes on independence day December 6th and between 24 December 2021 and 1 January 2022.
Authorities have set new restrictions on sports, effective 4-31 December 2021. It is mandatory, that there is enough room to avoid physical contact.
SHMS board has decided to place the following restrictions, effective untill 31 December:
- Classes are limited to 20 persons. If the limit is reached, those enrolled in advance via MyClub have the right of way.
- Cleaning of surfaces and loaner gear is enhanced.
- To avoid close contact, wrestling and dagger are prohibited. Other techniques that require close contact are prohibited also.
- Minimize your stay indoors
SHMS will not require COVID-19 passport yet. The board will monitor the development of the situation.
It is recommended to
- Wear a face mask
- Stay home if you have been exposed to covid or have any symptoms of illness
- Follow general guidlines for hand hygiene
We have renovated the SHMS website to be easier to maintain and hopefully also a bit less confusing. We also removed a bunch of out-of-date information while we were at it.
The site will be a bit less graphical for now, until we restore some of the old graphics and find a bunch of new graphics to put in their appropriate places.
The COVID-19 situation seems to be settling down for the time being. Due to this we intend to start our regular training schedule on 3.5.2021.
Whenever weather permits, practise takes place outside next to the salle. If weather does not allow for outdoors practise, practise will take place indoors. Inside we use face masks.
Remember to pay your yearly SHMS membership fees, and purchase an applicable training card from MyClub.
Be ready to train outdoors, dress appropriately for the weather and bring a drinking bottle.
You are not permitted to participate in practice if you exhibit any signs of illness. When you arrive to practise, wash your hands and use hand disinfectant. Also remember to apply social distancing.
In order for practise to take place in a health-conscious fashion, we will apply the following during practise:
- Wrestling, dagger, locks and any other close-quarters techniques are forbidden for now.
- For now, there will be no sparring during practise.